Masters Of War

Come you masters of war You that build all the guns You that build the death planes You that build all the bombs You that hide behind walls You that hide behind desks I just want you to know I can see through your masks. You that never done nothin' But build to destroy You play with my world Like it's your little toy You put a gun in my hand And you hide from my eyes And you turn and run farther When the fast bullets fly. Like Judas of old You lie and deceive A world war can be won You want me to believe But I see through your eyes And I see through your brain Like I see through the water That runs down my drain. You fasten all the triggers For the others to fire Then you set back and watch When the death count gets higher You hide in your mansion' As young people's blood Flows out of their bodies And is buried in the mud. You've thrown the worst fear That can ever be hurled Fear to bring children Into the world For threatening my baby Unborn and unnamed You ain't worth the blood That runs in your veins. How much do I know To talk out of turn You might say that I'm young You might say I'm unlearned But there's one thing I know Though I'm younger than you That even Jesus would never Forgive what you do. Let me ask you one question Is your money that good Will it buy you forgiveness Do you think that it could I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul. And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon I will follow your casket In the pale afternoon And I'll watch while you're lowered Down to your deathbed And I'll stand over your grave 'Til I'm sure that you're dead.------- Bob Dylan 1963

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thatcherism: A Timeline | Counterfire

Thatcherism: A Timeline | Counterfire

As the Tories prepare to celebrate the life of much-hated former PM Margaret Thatcher, this extract from John Rees' Timelines looks at the real history of Thatcherism

David Cameron became the first Tory prime minister for 13 years after the general election of 2010. Many of those who voted in that election had no real memory of living under a Conservative administration. For many Margaret Thatcher's first election victory in 1979 is the stuff of history books. So what is the real story of Britain's longest serving Tory prime minister? Thatcherism was a conservative reaction to what came before it. In the late 1960s the long post-war period of economic expansion began ebb. By the early 1970s Britain was in its most serious economic crisis since the 1940s. Inflation and unemployment were rising. Working people had become used to the idea that there was not going to be a return to the economic hardship and deprivation they had known in the 1930s. They reacted with a series of industrial disputes aimed at defending their living standards. Dockers and miners struck in 1972. And the miners struck again in 1974. Tory Prime Minister Edward Heath put the country on a three day working week hoping that voters would blame the strikers. The plan back-fired. Heath called an election in 1974 demanding that he be given a new mandate to confront the unions. He was thrown out of office by the electorate 

READ MORE

No comments: