Masters Of War

Come you masters of war You that build all the guns You that build the death planes You that build all the bombs You that hide behind walls You that hide behind desks I just want you to know I can see through your masks. You that never done nothin' But build to destroy You play with my world Like it's your little toy You put a gun in my hand And you hide from my eyes And you turn and run farther When the fast bullets fly. Like Judas of old You lie and deceive A world war can be won You want me to believe But I see through your eyes And I see through your brain Like I see through the water That runs down my drain. You fasten all the triggers For the others to fire Then you set back and watch When the death count gets higher You hide in your mansion' As young people's blood Flows out of their bodies And is buried in the mud. You've thrown the worst fear That can ever be hurled Fear to bring children Into the world For threatening my baby Unborn and unnamed You ain't worth the blood That runs in your veins. How much do I know To talk out of turn You might say that I'm young You might say I'm unlearned But there's one thing I know Though I'm younger than you That even Jesus would never Forgive what you do. Let me ask you one question Is your money that good Will it buy you forgiveness Do you think that it could I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul. And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon I will follow your casket In the pale afternoon And I'll watch while you're lowered Down to your deathbed And I'll stand over your grave 'Til I'm sure that you're dead.------- Bob Dylan 1963

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Putin lures Obama towards engagement By M K Bhadrakumar


By M K Bhadrakumar
Through an agonizing Tuesday, with the prospects alternating between good, indifferent or bad, the idea of the international community taking control over Syria's chemical weapon stockpiles seemed struggling to take off.
But at the end of the day, President Barack Obama decided to set aside false pride and revive the idea with his extraordinary national address, virtually relegating his own earlier decision to undertake a "limited action" against Syria as his Plan B, while
upfront exploring the "encouraging signs" that a negotiated deal could be possible.
He sized up that the country isn't ready for war, the political class is reluctant, and his own instincts favoring dialogue and negotiations in preference to war have a fair chance to prevail in the national discourse.
Obama qualified that it is too early to say whether the diplomatic track will reach anywhere but there is "potential" to remove Syria's chemical weapons without the use of force. So, he asked the US Congress to defer the vote on the ''Authorization of the Use of Military Force'' (AUMF ) while the US military keeps its "posture" on Syria even as he's "giving diplomacy a chance".
Obama pointedly recalled his "constructive talk" with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in St Petersburg last week and explicitly acknowledged that Russia has "shown willingness" to work with the US. He disclosed that Secretary of State John Kerry will visit Moscow on Thursday and he himself will follow up with President Putin.
Obama sidestepped the tendentious French move on Tuesday to moot a Security Council resolution under Charter 7 of the UN Charter (which Russia brusquely rejected) and instead stressed that the US would seek a resolution by the UN Security Council in consultation with Russia and China.
He simply ignored the audacious Saudi-sponsored statement by the Gulf Cooperation Council issued earlier in the day from Riyadh insisting that chemical weapons is not the agenda in Syria but regime change.
Clearly, Obama has put the ball in the Russian court, taking note of the news from Moscow that it is fleshing out a detailed plan on Syria's chemical weapons. But what clinched the issue, finally, would have been Putin's extraordinary interview in Moscow on Tuesday on the issue even as Obama was giving the final shape to his speech in Washington.
The big picture READ MORE

No comments: