Tokyo’s take on comfort women deal stirs anger
On Monday, the foreign ministers of both countries announced the agreement, in which Japan offered an official apology and a fund worth 1 billion yen ($8.3 million) for the victims.
The settlement is “final and irreversible,” they said, as long as Tokyo faithfully follows through with its promises.
“As of yesterday, everything ended. We won’t apologize anymore,” the conservative newspaper quoted Abe as telling his associates on Tuesday. “In the future, we will never talk about this issue. We will make no mention of it at the next Korea-Japan summit.”
The newspaper went on to say that the prime minister had already informed President Park Geun-hye about Japan’s stance. “If Korea breaks the agreement, its status as a member of the international community will also end,” the paper quoted Abe as saying.
According to the Sankei Shimbun, Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se confirmed in a televised media conference that the deal was irreversible and that the United States supported it.
“This means Korea will have to fix the goalpost that it has moved around until now,” Abe was quoted as saying.
On Tuesday, the prime minister met with Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, who briefed him on the negotiations, the newspaper said, and praised him for getting Yun to confirm the settlement as “final and irreversible.”
Another Japanese newspaper also reported on Wednesday that the Korean government had
agreed to relocate a controversial monument in front of the Japanese Embassy in Seoul before Tokyo provides the funds.
At Every Door - I come and stand at every door But none shall hear my silent tread I knock and yet remain unseen — Nazim Hikmet, I Come and Stand at Every Door On July 18,...
1 hour ago