Masters Of War

Come you masters of war You that build all the guns You that build the death planes You that build all the bombs You that hide behind walls You that hide behind desks I just want you to know I can see through your masks. You that never done nothin' But build to destroy You play with my world Like it's your little toy You put a gun in my hand And you hide from my eyes And you turn and run farther When the fast bullets fly. Like Judas of old You lie and deceive A world war can be won You want me to believe But I see through your eyes And I see through your brain Like I see through the water That runs down my drain. You fasten all the triggers For the others to fire Then you set back and watch When the death count gets higher You hide in your mansion' As young people's blood Flows out of their bodies And is buried in the mud. You've thrown the worst fear That can ever be hurled Fear to bring children Into the world For threatening my baby Unborn and unnamed You ain't worth the blood That runs in your veins. How much do I know To talk out of turn You might say that I'm young You might say I'm unlearned But there's one thing I know Though I'm younger than you That even Jesus would never Forgive what you do. Let me ask you one question Is your money that good Will it buy you forgiveness Do you think that it could I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul. And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon I will follow your casket In the pale afternoon And I'll watch while you're lowered Down to your deathbed And I'll stand over your grave 'Til I'm sure that you're dead.------- Bob Dylan 1963

Monday, February 8, 2016

[Kim Jong-un’s Hypothetical Letter 5-2] “I don’t want to be a Gaddafi or Hussein” Part II

[Kim Jong-un’s Hypothetical Letter 5-2] “I don’t want to be a Gaddafi or Hussein”


If Clinton had come to Pyongyang in 2000
While the US is frustrated that it can’t gobble up North Korea, not all American presidents are the same. Bill Clinton in particular was quite different from George W. Bush.
In Oct. 2000, the late Vice Marshal Jo Myong-rok traveled to Washington, D.C., on a visit that resulted in the US-DPRK Joint Communique. Here’s its key passage: “In this regard, the two sides agreed there are a variety of available means, including Four Party talks, to reduce tension on the Korean Peninsula and formally end the Korean War by replacing the 1953 Armistice Agreement with permanent peace arrangements. [. . .] As a crucial first step, the two sides stated that neither government would have hostile intent toward the other and confirmed the commitment of both governments to make every effort in the future to build a new relationship free from past enmity.”
North Korea did not want complete isolation. The country made efforts to escape isolation for the sake of normalized relations with the US and Japan. Here, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il shakes hands with then-US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright during her visit to Pyongyang to prepare for an Oct. 2000 North Korea-US summit. (Yonhap News)
So Madeleine Albright, who was the US Secretary of State at the time, came to Pyongyang to prepare for a summit between North Korea and the US. The South Korean government, under President Kim Dae-jung, made a great effort to bring us to that point. Experts believe that the Perry Process, a plan devised by the US and South Korea to bring peace to the Korean Peninsula, was a stepping stone on the way to achieving the first ever inter-Korean summit meeting and pushing for a summit meeting between North Korea and the US.
The Perry Process was a comprehensive approach to bringing about peace by dismantling the Cold War regime in place on the Korean Peninsula. The Cold War regime was defined by Lim Dong-won (who served as Blue House Senior Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Security, Minister of Unification and Director of the National Intelligence Service during the Kim Dae-jung administration) as being composed of six factors: ① distrust and strife between North and South Korea, ② the hostile relationship between the US and North Korea, ③ North Korea’s tendency to be closed off and inflexible, ④ weapons of mass destruction (nuclear weapons, long-range missiles, and biological and chemical weapons), ⑤ the military standoff and the arms race and ⑥ the armistice regime.
(Source: Lim Dong-won, Peacemaker, revised and expanded edition, p. 308)

No comments: